Election Update - 6/8/20:
Governor Cuomo has issued a new Executive Order (No. 202.39) in regards to the 2020-21 Budget Vote and School Board Elections.
Please note the following:
- The date of the Budget Vote and School Board Election is still June 9. Therefore, June 9 is the last day for the District to accept ballots by hand delivery. Voters may drop off their absentee ballots (which must be in the signed oath envelope) in a lock box at Nanuet High School before 5 P.M. on June 9. The lock box will be located just inside the entrance of the High School near the guard desk. Pursuant to other orders of the Governor, please make sure you are using a facemask and observe social distancing if other people are present.
- However, any ballots that are received by the District via U.S. mail only before 5 P.M. on June 16 will be counted. Ballots shall remain unopened pending delivery of mailed ballots, and shall be removed and canvassed after 5 P.M. on June 16, 2020.
- If you have not received a ballot in the mail, please call 845-627-9202 immediately. All requests by registered voters for a replacement ballot must be made by phone by Tuesday, June 9 at 12 noon. After that time, we cannot honor further requests.
Thank you for prioritizing your vote! The strength of our school system depends on it!
Important Information for Completing Your Ballot:
1) Mark your ballot with single checks or cross marks to indicate your vote. Please do not leave any stray marks on the ballot.
2) Make sure to fold your ballot, place it in the included official "oath envelope"; you must sign and date the "statement of absentee voter" on the reverse side of the envelope.
3) Mail your ballot back ASAP in the included return envelope, addressed to the District Clerk.
Per an Executive Order issued by Governor Cuomo on May 1, 2020, the Annual School District Budget Vote and Election will take place by an all-absentee ballot vote on June 9, 2020.
Election By Mail Only – June 9, 2020
For the 2020 Annual Budget Vote and Election, all qualified, registered voters will automatically receive an absentee ballot by mail. Absentee ballots will include a postage paid return envelope. Completed ballots must be received by mail by Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm. It is recommended that ballots are returned promptly after they are received to ensure your vote is counted.
To qualify as a voter, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years old
- A resident of the school district for at least 30 days prior to the day of the vote
- Not otherwise prohibited from voting under the provisions of section 5-106 of the Election Law (e.g. a person who has been adjudged to be mentally incompetent)
In order to vote in the school budget vote and board elections, voters must be registered with the Rockland County Board of Elections or the Nanuet School District. Due to COVID-19, there will be no personal registration. It is suggested that residents register to vote online at the DMV Voter Registration Site. Visit https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/electronic-voter-registration-application.
Military: Military Ballots will be mailed on May 15, 2020. The deadline to request a military ballot has now passed.
Board of Education Seats
There will be three (3) seats up for election; all three seats are three-year terms commencing July 1, 2020 and expiring on June 30, 2023.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the Board of Education, a completed 2020 Nominating Petition (see link below) must be mailed to Andrea Dobbelaer, District Clerk, Nanuet UFSD, 101 Church Street, Nanuet, NY 10954. The petitions must be received by the District Clerk no later than Monday, May 11, 2020 by 5:00 pm. Candidates must also complete and file three (3) separate Campaign Expenditure and Contribution Statements. The first statement must be received by the District Clerk no later than Monday, May 11, 2020.
To be eligible, a candidate must be a registered voter in the District. An applicant must be able to read and write, at least 18 years old, a U.S. Citizen, and a resident of the District for at least one year. At the time when the Board Member takes office, they cannot be employed by the District or live in the same household with a family member who is also a member of the Nanuet Board of Education.
Please call Andrea Dobbelaer at 845-627-9202 and leave a message with any questions or requests related to the above.