May 23, 2018
I would like to share Board President Ron Hansen’s statement from the May 15, 2018 Board Meeting.
Now that we have an official notification of Dr. McNeill's intent to retire, we can proceed to the next steps to find the best candidate to lead the Nanuet School District.
I would first point out:
- On October 24, 2017 a contract was approved for Dr. McNeill that upon his official filing for retirement, that instead of serving his current contract out to June 2022, that the 2018-19 school year will be his final year at an annual rate of pay of $210,000.
- This early notice saves the district taxpayers $110,000 in the 2018-19 Budget.
- This enabled the Board to research and decide on using a search firm and in addition had the benefit of starting to get the word out to those interested, providing sufficient time to plan.
- On March 6, 2018, the Board contracted with Rockland BOCES for an amount not to exceed $19,000 to complete the search. Neighboring districts have paid upwards of $100,000 to search firms.
- Dr. McNeill's early announcement also gave an opportunity for candidates in the region to start assembling credentials and prospective references before the process begins.
The next steps are:
- Rockland BOCES will begin their work in late September/early October, holding meetings with stakeholders, such as residents, students, and staff to develop a profile or brochure that includes specifics about the desired qualifications, info on Nanuet, deadlines, etc.
- BOCES, in conjunction with the Board, will specify end dates for identifying finalists and the next steps.
- The process could go into the first quarter of 2019, which gives time for the selected candidate to depart on 6/30/19 and help their district with a similar transition.
Mark S. McNeill
NYS Science Exam Grades 4 & 8 (performance)Nanuet Union Free School District
HS: Spring Concert
@ HS AuditoriumNanuet Union Free School District
Memorial DayNanuet Union Free School District